Monday, April 12, 2010

Treme: The First Date

Thoughts, in no particular order:
  • What's it shot in? Some sort of video-made-to-look-like-film something? I'm no cinematographer, but it's definitely something other than the usual something. (You can quote me on that.) And the tight framing and the quick pans? And something curious about the way the camera moves in the close-up shots of the brass band. Definitely something curious.
  • I wouldn't pay nearly so much attention to the quirks of the medium if I wasn't already stuck on the weirdness of seeing our immediate little corner of the world shown back to us, not a far-fetched absurdity too remote to bother with, nor the actual unmediated thing itself as we know it each day, but a closely rendered facsimile: places we know, dramatized versions of people we know, people we know playing dramatized versions of themselves, people we know playing dramatized versions of other people.
  • Some details were too perfect: When Lester Freamon (sorry, I haven't made the transition yet) first opens the door to his flooded house and they flash the shot of the wilted ceiling fan—ooh, boy! I remember that.
  • I'm game. I'll keep with it. I'm happy. They've painted the tableau, established their mode, made the introductions. The long-awaited nervous first date is behind us. Now we hop on the narrative and see where it takes us. What's next?

8 comments:

  1. My class had two vocabulary words this week that just weren't sinking in: facsimile & travesty. I used your examples w/Treme to explain them. Thanks Slimbolala!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 PM

    It made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cried too! I've never seen Zack so teary eyed over a show or movie.
    Direct quote:
    "I don't know if I could take a whole season of this."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an observation, Slimbo. There have been TV shows about the 2 places you have lived the longest--Schuyler(The Waltons) and New Orleans(Treme). What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just an observation, Slimbo. There have been TV shows about the 2 places you have lived the longest--Schuyler(The Waltons) and New Orleans(Treme). What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I did not mean to be redundant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. craic-head9:57 PM

    Wren's right, Slimbo.
    Sounds like a question for DeAndre Cole.
    What up with that?

    ReplyDelete