Monday, May 10, 2010

Post-Diluvian Follies: “Welcome To Your City, Sir”

Early one evening, I was sitting in the idling car in front of Fay and Jeff’s house, talking to Sarah on my cell phone as it recharged from the cigarette lighter. A Humvee rolled slowly past and stopped at the corner, twenty yards ahead. Two guardsmen stepped out and sauntered slowly towards me, casually but with hands on their rifle-straps.

“Hold on a second, babe…” I rolled down my window and gave my cheeriest, most un-looting “Hi!”

“Sir, are you aware there’s a curfew?” He must have been about nineteen.

“Yeah… But I’m staying right there, and my phone was dead, and I needed to make a call, and I only have a charger in the car...”

“You have two minutes, sir.” They re-sauntered back to the Humvee. The Humvee didn’t move.

Exactly two minutes later, they climbed back out and started towards me again.

“Okay! I’m done…! I gotta go, babe. I love you… Alright! You all have a good night!”

They watched me cross the street and go inside. The Humvee rumbled away.

No comments:

Post a Comment