Monday, September 27, 2010

Slang Sling: The Cessation-of-Style Edition

You know what word I like?
crum·bum
n.
An objectionable or foolish person
(I actually heard this one used recently: "I woudn't call him a 'crumbum', but...'. It had a "bless his heart" sort of zing to it.) And you know what else I'm liking?
stum·ble·bum
n.
A blundering or awkward person
(Those "-bum" words: endlessly entertaining.) And you one more current fave: saying that so-and-so is doing something...
"...like it's going out of style."
I think I'll start using "crumbum" and "stumblebum" like they're going out of style (even though both words actually stumbled off of Style-Isle eons ago and have been adrift in the Swamps of Corny Linguistic Irrelevance for decades).

2 comments:

  1. I just came across "lay-about", which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Crumb-bum" is a great word. Was a favorite term of endearment of Toots Shor, the NY saloonkeeper, for Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, and legions of pals. Fun blog you have here! Will be back.

    ReplyDelete