Monday, December 20, 2010

P.M. Pensées: Necessity is the Mother of Concoction

They* say that necessity is the mother of invention. I suspect the inventions of many great (and not-so-great) cocktails were necessitated by poorly stocked bars, by bartenders saying, "Damn, I'm out of ________. All I've got is ________, ________, and ________. What the hell can I make with that?" Often, the hardest part is just coming up with a name for the new concoction. I myself, when presented with half-bare shelves, have "invented" such nouveau-Slimbo-classics as the "Tejito", a Mojito made with tequila instead of rum, and the "Negronitsky", a Negroni made with vodka instead of gin.** Give it a catchy name and serve it with a smile: nobody seems to complain.

* The mysterious universal "they", as authoritative as it is vague.

** Both were pretty good. Varying a standard, swapping out one liquor for some cousin-booze, seems to be a good way to go.

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the artist- but when he finished a painting he would name it after whatever was the headline of the newspaper that day. :) I always thought I would name a cocktail after myself or something amusing.

    ReplyDelete