Thursday, February 24, 2011

Counting Crows

This morning as I sat on my balcony, a large crow* landed on the wire in front of me, lifted its head, opened its beak, and let out a huge cawwww caw caw caw caw. After a pause, it repeated the sequence, cawwww caw caw caw caw, paused, did it again, paused, did it again. Then, from blocks away, came a response, cawww caw caw caw. And then, from still further away and in a slightly different direction, came another, cawwww caw caw caw. I had turned to face this unseen chorus. When I looked back, the first crow was gone, off perhaps to join its new found friends.

Birds are busy.

* Really, it was the size of a small cat.

1 comment:

  1. Crows are very intelligent birds. We have been feeding a muster or murder of crows for years. They recognize us and Aldo, our bull dog. They roost in the woods behind our home. It's quite a sight to see them swarming in from all directions at twilight.

    ReplyDelete