Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Next, Please

Well, that phone phauna sure was phun, a silly simple little sketch game that turned into a silly complex big  painting game. As the alphabet progressed, those suckers got pretty elaborate, evolved in a direction I simply hadn't imagined or really even known was possible at at the outset. I was pleasantly surprised by the results and gratified by the many kind comments they received, and I'll definitely continue trucking in this new direction, seeing where this curious business of the digital painting leads.

Folks have asked if I intend to render the critters in a non-virtual form. That sounds like a great idea: I shall make it so. I haven't sorted out the exact particulars yet—a little book, prints, a poster, any or all of the above (y'all have made some helpful suggestions)—but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

And folks have also asked what's next? Good question. The alphabet series and the daily deadline was a great way to force myself to try new things and keep moving, but as the complexity increased, so did the amount of time each one took (that squirrel has a lot of little hairs, and consequently a lot of little "brush strokes"*). Perhaps you'll understand if I keep things loose and sketchy for a bit: I'm thinking a series of quick-'n'-casual paint-sketches of various domestic items (or non-domestic items, or really, whatever catches my fancy). Like look: here's a little doodle of a mug of coffee (cold, for the morning) and a banana (also cold, also for the morning) that I did last night while drifting towards Drowsy Land. You might be seeing lots of mugs of coffee. (They're a near-constant presence in my life.) Maybe it'll be a whole series of coffee in its various states and modes. Who knows? (I don't.) And then maybe we'll kick some other more rigorous and elaborate series (alphabet or otherwise) in the future, once my eyes and fingers have had a chance to catch their metaphorical breath. How's that sound?

* It's a bit confusing figuring out what language to use for this virtual artistry, but if I say "brush" or "draw" or "paint", I assume you'll know what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:56 PM

    Sounds good. Will eagerly await whatever is your fancy.

    ReplyDelete