Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Words That Confuse Me Early in the Morning When I Haven’t Had Enough Coffee

I sometimes write stuff early in the morning (like now), when my brain isn’t fully sloshing in coffee (though I’m steadily working to correct the deficiency), and the part of my brain that keeps words nicely sorted, tidily mapped to the correct letter sequences, doesn’t work that well, is sort of squishy. And I find myself conflating1 various like-sounding word pairs.2 E.g.:
  • council/counsel
  • whose/who’s
  • hurtle/hurdle
There are others too. But I can’t think of them right now. (I almost typed “write now”.) ’Cause of the coffee thing.3

1 “Conflate”, that’s a tough one for this time of day.

2 What’s that word that means that? “Homonym”? I’ll remember after this second mug kicks in.

3 In addition to conflating (I think) homonyms (I think), I also sometimes agglomerate similar-ish words. For example, just now I agglomerated “aggregate” and “conglomerarate” into “agglomerate”. But then I spelled it wrong, and spell-check revealed that it is in fact a word though one whose existence I wasn’t consciously aware of before my accidental rediscovery.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:46 PM

    I am confused now, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, see. And it's well into the evening. I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete