Monday, August 15, 2011

WaaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAA

Have you ever seen a cicada, up close and personal, making its crazy huge sound? I did for the first time last night. I opened the door to the balcony and that throbbing mechanical hum blasted in, waaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAAHHHhhhwaaaAAA..., a just freakin' ginormous sound, like filling-the-whole-sky ginormous. And there the little sucker was (well, not that little by bug standards, but...), perched a few feet away in the willow tree, plump and green and freaky looking. It semi-hushed for a moment when it first saw me but then started up again full volume, plumping its little bug-butt up and down with each waaaAAAHHHhhh. At intervals, it would go silent, and I'd hear the other far-off cicadas waaaAAAHHHhhhing in response. Then it would start up again, drowning them out. How do such little things make such a big noise?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 AM

    The locusts I have known sing "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR, nnn Hmmmmmmmmmm, nnn Errrrrrrrrrrr, nnnnnnn ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZnnnn ERRRRRRRRRRRRR . . .

    Different species, I suppose. I've heard of some South American ones who sing "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX , nnnn CHA CHA CHA, nnnn XXXXXXXXX........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Whatever combination of letters it is, it is loud and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete