Thursday, December 08, 2011

"Y'all Can All Y'all..."

To my wife and daughters, I recently found myself saying:
"Y'all can all y'all really lose yourselves in a book."*
I believe that's the most Southern** sentence I've ever said in my life. It's pretty funny sounding. It's also perfectly legitimate in Southern Vernacular,** the "all y'all" providing emphasis which the "Y'all can" by itself lacks. Y'all can all y'all... Y'all can all y'all... Y'all can all y'all...

* It's true. They're all ridiculously focused readers, to the eternal amazement of this rambly mind.

** Not "Southern-most" but "most Southern".

*** Some wayward souls may think that "perfectly legitimate in Southern Vernacular" and "funny sounding" are redundant, but t'ain't so. Y'all can all y'all borrow our vernacular anytime you choose. Try it on. We think you'll like it.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Somehow this makes me want to say "y'all come to see us now and then" I guess it is all the y'alls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of "all y'all" as the plural of "y'all," which sounds plural but might not be so. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:15 PM

    "You all" (with both words pronounced clearly) has definitely become a standard plural around the country. I've seen it used properly by a number of non-Southerners on my blog lately. But the English use it too. I remember being surprised years ago when Queen Elizabeth used the words properly. That makes it the Queen's English.

    ReplyDelete