Monday, May 14, 2012

Records from the Crypt: "Addis Ababa, Baby"

Our recent Bruisers N.O. reunion (which was, of course, a hoot) got me in a Bruisin' frame of mind and got me thinking: I sure would like to have some of those ol' Bruisers tracks out in the world in a free, webby, widely-consumable kind of way. (The CDs were lovely, but free-and-downloadable is also lovely.) And so, that's what I'm doing, bit-by-bit loading the Bruisers opus into SoundCloud (and conveniently cross-posting here). First up, "Addis Ababa, Baby":



And perhaps with each new posting, an old backstory? This song came to be largely because of my limited musical skills. I was obsessed, for a while, with a disc of old Ethiopian R&B by the singer Alemayehu Eshete, given to me by some friends. It had one song, Addis Ababa Bete, that I particularly liked. I had no idea what it was about, but it had this cool modal riff that sounded awesome. I thought, "I'd like to play something like that", but after about five minutes of attempting to do so, I realized that jazzy 60s Ethiopian R&B was beyond me. So I wrote this song instead, inspired by but ultimately totally different from the original: exotic modal riffs and wail-y vocals, yes, but mashed up with rough 'n' ready American rock 'n' roll and my own made-up lyrics that may or may not have anything to do with what the original song was actually about. Anyhoo, wherever it started, I like where it wound up.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't want to listen to this song every day. But it's pretty good. A tip of the fedora your way.

    ReplyDelete