Thursday, July 26, 2012

From the Doodle-Ma-Tron: Mr. Farmer Guy

I'm going to go ahead and say he's a farmer. Notice how I clued in on those overalls? And the piece of grass he's chawing on? Farmer. Though I'm wondering about the hat. It looks a little fancy. That might be his going-to-town hat. Or maybe it used to be his going-to-town hat until it got too old and battered, and now it's just his regular farmer hat. Hmm...

Tangential musing (my specialty): When did that piece-of-grass-in-mouth become so emblematic of farmer-ness (or more generally, country bumpkin-ness)? Sure it happens. I've done it myself in my own rural youth (though it's possible I was merely emulating this archetypal image). But when did it become such a trope? (Am I using "trope" right? It's making me nervous.) When did it transition from actual phenomenon into shorthand signifier? Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. I have a request/game/challenge: Take this exact picture. Adding and subtracting as little as possible, transform him into a young hipster. Go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall your previous musings on the significant overlap between old man fashion and young hipster fashion. I accept and welcome your challenge. It shall be so. Stay tuned.

      Delete