Sunday, March 03, 2013

My Morning Coffee: Sant'Eustachio

Not a delicate little bit of china, but your classic cafe demitasse. I bought this while travelling with Sarah in Europe after college, at the Sant'Eustachio Il Caffè in Rome. Going to Europe was a caffeine-revelation. Back in the nineties, coffee shops hadn't quite proliferated stateside, but in Europe...? oh, my lord. Walk in, order an espresso, drink it while surrounded by incomprehensible but mellifluous chatter. Maybe order another. I dug it. (I was highly caffeinated for the duration of our travels.) This little cup is a reminder. Plus it has that really cool weird deer head with the shining cross between the antlers.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Kool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee, especially in southern Italy, is another thing. The Italians can converse for hours about the fine nuances of coffee. There is nothing like a strong doppio with an almond paste cookie or a cannoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So. You bought this-- yourself-- in Rome, eh? Hmm. Very interesting, I guess someone else, on *their* trip to Rome, during which they visited Cafe Eustache on *your* recommendation, just happened to buy you one of these, under the impression that you just recently at that time had begun to assemble a demitasse collection, and you must have, I don't know, tossed that gift one in the trash, since you already had one? Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit! I'm sorry. As I said before, with my many cups and my jumbly brain, I sometimes blenderize their provenances. And as soon as you said it, I realize there'd been some part of my sub-articulate mind trying to correct me -- "Matt...... Cameron...... Rome......" -- but it hadn't quite percolated up. A thousand apologies. (I need a fact checker.)

      Delete
    2. Ok, you owe me one doppio in that very 'tasse.

      Delete
    3. Deal! Come on down.

      Delete
  4. That's so interesting conversation going on here. Coffee is everywhere. You will know its variety of tastes and flavors if you go to different countries and have a cup of coffee there.

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete