Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo1


Because I'm the kind of nerd I am, I have an alarm set (on my Sol app2) that chimes at sunrise (and solar noon and sunset). On a recent morning, my sunrise chime went off. And a few seconds later, in the distance a rooster started crowing.3 And then it crowed again. And again and again and again for the next several minutes. Hmm. Roosters really do crow at the rising sun. (Why?)

1 We spell that sound funny. It doesn't really sound that cock-a-doodle-doo-ish. I wonder how other folks elsewhere spell it. (Of course, Google could tell me, but I'm lazy.)

2 Why? Well yeah, we know approximately when the sun is coming up, when its about midday, about when the sun is going down. But in contemporary, electrified life, these things lack the significance they once had. We don't need to know. But I just like knowing; I like having a little reminder of these key moments in each day, as our hunk of rock spins round and round on its axis. (It is of course ironic that I have a little compu-widget helping me reconvene with nature.)

3 I've talked about this before, but this was not a nouveau locavorian rooster, rather an old school funky-neighborhood country-never-quite-left-the-city bird. (I could tell by where the crows were coming from.)

1 comment:

  1. I believe that roosters crow due to their circadian rhythm.

    ReplyDelete