Thursday, May 09, 2013

"If You Like Piña Coladas"

My little brain loops cycle in and out, new ones coming in, old ones retiring. But once in a while, the old ones come back to visit. I was just (unfortunately) visited by a long-ago near-forgotten one, that cheesy line-snippet from that cheesy song: "If you like piña coladas, getting caught in the rain…" (Why? Why? It had been so long.) It was in heavy rotation in my brain back when that song was in heavy rotation on the radio.1

The main reason I looped the line so much was because I had come up with a missing comma joke which my youthful self thought was very clever: without the comma, instead of enumerating a series of things a couple might do together, the line describes rum-based drinks getting caught in liquid precipitation: "If you like piña coladas getting caught in the rain…" See? See? And I especially liked my little cleverness because I had (what I thought was) a catchy punchline: "Sure I do. I love it when they have those little paper umbrellas."2

Ba… doom… cha! (Argh!)

1 Why am I telling you this?

2 I don't think I ever actually told anyone this barely-a-joke.a
a Which is good, because I just looked at the lyrics and realized it's not a comma, it's an "and" ("If you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain…"), so the whole premise of my youthful nerd-humor turns out to be entirely baseless. (My brain-loop song-snippets are often lyrically inaccurate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment