Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lunar Eclipse, or Lack Thereof

There was a lunar eclipse last night, and June was very excited to see it and its associated "blood moon". Sadly though, our local weather was not promising: a cold front moving through, bringing a blanket of clouds and intense winds. But June set her alarm for 3 a.m. "just in case". She awoke and got me. As feared, we couldn't see a thing. But she hoped against hope that a gap would appear in the fast moving clouds, and we'd catch a glimpse. No luck. She was devastated.1 Poor thing; being a kid ain't easy.2

1 She was under the impression that this might be the only full lunar eclipse in her lifetime. She is apparently incorrect. A bit of Googling reveals that tonight's was the first of four lunar eclipses in the next year-and-change (wow!), the next occurring on October 8th. But in my wee hour grogginess, I was not able to summon these facts. I'll tell her when she wakes, hopefully putting her mind at ease.

2 Not that being an adult is a cake walk either.

1 comment:

  1. I share June's disappointment. I had hoped to see it, too, but, alas, it was cloudy.

    ReplyDelete