Thursday, September 18, 2014

Reunited And It Feels So Good

The reunion: I confess, some part of me dreaded it. Would we all look old and fat? Would it be socially awkward?1 But people looked great, better than ever. (College kids often make horrible aesthetic choices.) And it’s amazing how, with the people one knew well, it’s like no time passed at all. Conversation flows as easily as ever.2 Old friends. The old school. Truly gratifying.3 (It took me a couple of days to get around to posting because I returned absolutely exhausted — way too much fun crammed into way too little time.)

1 And I’m pathologically bad with faces and names, and I had an anticipatory fear that I would make some blunder and completely blank on someone who I was supposed to know well.a (I was at a distinct disadvantage because I’m not a regular Facebook user and haven’t been tracking these peoples lives for the past however-many years.) But all the faces and names gelled quickly, and there was nought to worry about. (There were only a couple of people who I had trouble placing, and in my defense, I only knew them tangentially, and they had gone through major stylistic overhauls, glamming up significantly since their college years.)
a I should mention that we went to St. John’s College, which is a teeny-tiny school, and everybody knew everybody.b
b I should also mention that St. John’s is where The Lady and I met.
2 Of course, there was a fair bit of drinking, which tends to speed along this re-bonding.

3 The girls came along. They acted like the whole thing was way too dorky and lame and adult-ish, but in truth, I think they were busily soaking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment